Countless studies show the benefits of deep breathing, but getting kiddos to actually do it can be difficult. Here are a few activities to try that unknowingly sneak in those beneficial belly breaths.
How to Breathe Deeply
- Inhale through your nose for 5 seconds, watch your belly expand.
- Hold your breath for 3 seconds.
- Exhale through pursed lips, like breathing out through a straw.
A fun game you can play here is while exhaling, make a “tssss” sound and see who can go the longest. It’s a great exercise for your diaphragm as well to keep those lungs nice and strong.
Benefits of Deep Breathing
- Makes you feel better, increasing serotonin
- Feel calmer, decreasing cortisol
- Releases toxins
- Decreases muscle tension
- Increases oxygen
- Lowers heart rate & blood pressure
- Improves digestion and sleep